MEET Bulky Ben
What’s the problem?
The amount of waste produced continues to increase and landfills have a limited size and lifespan.
Be like Bulky Ben – help reduce landfill waste by reusing, recycling, or donating items like mattresses, furniture, and appliances. If the items are beyond repair, Bulky Ben schedules a bulky waste pickup appointment. One bulky waste pickup appointment every 12 months is included in the standard level of residential curbside collection service.
What can I do?
Reuse, recycle or donate bulky items that you no longer need
- If items are beyond repair, schedule a bulky waste pickup appointment at SacGreenTeam.com or download the app
- One bulky waste pickup every 12 months is included in the standard level of residential curbside collection service
- Limit your pile size to five cubic yards, or a pile 8′ x 4′ x 4′, which is about the size of a pickup truck bed loaded to the top of the cab
- Piles larger than five cubic yards will be charged additional fees – maximum pile size is 15 cubic yards
- Schedule additional bulky waste pickups during the year. They will be charged at current rates for up to five cubic yards of acceptable items. Setting out more than five cubic yards will be charged at current rates
Accepted Bulky Waste Items
Any appliances, e-waste, fluorescent tubes, or tires must be indicated when scheduling, and these items must be set to the side of your bulky waste pile for proper recycling
Set Out Instructions For Scheduled Pickup
- Place items out no more than 24 hours before your scheduled pickup. Piles set out too early or without an appointment will result in a fee.
- Place in front of your property line on same side of street, 1 foot from curb or edge of pavement.
- Do not place pile under power lines or tree limbs.
- Keep pile 6 feet from stationary objects, including fences, mailboxes, vehicles, basketball hoops, etc.
- Do not block sidewalk, traffic, or gutters.
- Maximum pile size is 5 cubic yards (8’ x 4’ x 4’).
- Any appliances, e-waste, fluorescent tubes, or tires must be indicated when scheduling, and these items must be set to the side of your bulky waste pile for proper recycling.
- Appliances must be empty of trash/debris and are collected by a different truck on your appointment day.
Other Disposal Options
Contact your local donation centers for reusable items.
Kiefer Landfill accepts household waste from the public, businesses, and private waste haulers. The landfill also accepts some recyclable material, some household hazardous (special) waste, and hard to handle items.
North Area Recovery Station (NARS) accepts household waste from the public, businesses, and private waste haulers. This facility also accepts some recyclable materials, a full range of household hazardous (special) waste, and some hard to handle items.
Items accepted for *free drop-off at Kiefer Landfill and NARS (view details/restrictions) include:
Explore the resources in this section to learn how to recycle and you can become a Binfluencer like Oscar Oil, too!